Monday, May 25, 2009

The amazing Killdeer


Since I started getting involved in the garden I have noticed the distinctive sounds and sights of the Killdeer. The high, piercing kill-deer call frequently echoes off the walls of the school and periodically I see the brown and white bird scurrying across the parking lot or grass. Now the Killdeer has become much more prominent in the world of the Memory Garden. The Killdeer has made a nest in the center of the garden under one of the Service Berry Trees. True to form it's not much of a nest, just a shallow depression in the mulch, but it had two eggs in it.

When we first spotted the bird on the nest I was with a rambunctious group of 5th grades and a few quiet 3rd graders. As I pointed out the bird they all became instantly quiet and even awestruck by the sight of the Momma bird slightly puffed up to make herself look bigger - but who did not budge as 5 or 6 large animals gazed at her.
On Saturday we had a work day and she was much more agitated. Even though there were few workers she stayed away from the nest and called angrily from the top of the classrooms. We tried to be careful but for most of the time (4 hours) the eggs laid uncovered on the ground. I had noticed three eggs now and was worried about them being exposed for such a long period of time. I returned later in the afternoon to collect my tools - to find only two eggs and no sign of the other - I am perplexed.

To find out more about Killdeer check out Cornell University's Bird Lab http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Killdeer/id

Some things I found out -
1. Killdeer lay their eggs over time- but the embryo doesn't start developing until the parent sits on the eggs and begins to incubate them. This made me more hopeful about the eggs being unattended.
2. Killdeer babies come of the egg fully developed and ready to roll - they have to the nest is on the ground!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment