Friday, May 15, 2009

Oh, I wish I had my camera.

Today, as I was waiting on the 5th and 6th grade students, I started working on the Color Garden. At once I was swamped with offers of help. As we worked, a golden brown butterfly came up to visit the Lantana. It was wonderful to see the kids marveling over the length of the proboscis and how the butterfly rolled it up. They discussed the nectar and talked about the proboscis being hollow like a straw -- what a great time! I so wished I had my camera to capture this magical moment.

We purchased two garden wagons this week and boy did they get a work out today. They made hauling dirt, mulch and trash much easier and they are perfectly sized for kids. They tip which makes dumping things a breeze.

Once the 5th and 6th graders arrived things got crazy. They have been testing all week (the PASS test) and were so relieved to be done for the week. I set the 5th grade to weeding a very solid clay spot and they went at it like gangbusters. This will be the shadier side bed flanking the center circle. Powell Hickman planted Lantana in the sunny side bed. Powell and Lynne Merchant were both great at channeling the rambunctious energy into positive progress!! The 6th grade planted a pizza garden. We were able to entrance some of the students with the scent of basil - they planted 3 different kinds. They also planted some oregano and marigolds. I left Lynne planting some other herbs and tomatoes to complete the pizza ingredients.

Now we just need some nice steady rain over the weekend to water everything in!

No comments:

Post a Comment